A WOMAN shared the story of how her sexy eight-hour date went horribly wrong after she caught sepsis from an extreme wedgie.
TikToker Sam, from North Carolina, ended up with a life threatening situation after her high-cut denim shorts cut into her skin on a date.
The date, which was three years ago, lasted a full eight hours and the following day she was in pain after her tight shorts gave her a cut between her cheeks.
The 25-year-old went into ICU, and was told she had developed cellulitis and sepsis, an infection that can lead to death.
Speaking to Buzzfeed, Sam said: "The timeline goes like this: I went on a full day-date with this guy I was newly dating, and realised I was wearing very uncomfortable clothes.
"I chose to ignore it and just enjoy my time. The next day, I felt very sore and then started feeling ill – just not 100 per cent.
"That night, I noticed that I had a large bump where the chafing had occurred, and as time went on, it started becoming more painful.
"The pain was isolated to one spot and it felt like a throbbing, stabbing pain."
She decided to get the pain checked out so went to the emergency room the next day.
What is Sepsis?
The condition is always triggered by an infection.
It is not contagious and cannot be passed from person to person.
Most often the culprit is an infection we all recognise – pneumonia, urinary infections (UTIs), skin infections, including cellulitis, and infections in the stomach, for example appendicitis.
Typically, when a person suffers a minor cut, the area surrounding the wound will become red, swollen and warm to touch.
This is evidence the body's immune system has kicked into action, releasing white blood cells to the site of the injury to kill off the bacteria causing the infection.
The white blood cells and platelets form blood clots in the tissues around the cut.
Blood vessels swell to allow more blood to flow, and they become leaky, allowing infection-fighting cells to get out of the blood and into the tissues where they are needed.
This causes inflammation, which appears to us as the red, warm swelling.
When sepsis happens, this system goes into overdrive.
The inflammation that is typically seen just around the minor cut, spreads through the body, affecting healthy tissue and organs.
The immune system – the body's defence mechanism – overreacts and the result is it attacks the body.
It can lead to organ failure and septic shock, which can prove fatal.
Bacteria, viruses, fungi and parasites can all trigger sepsis – though the most dangerous culprit is bacteria.
In developing nations, the condition remains a leading cause of death.
Known by its colloquial name "blood poisoning", sepsis is also often referred to as a "flesh-eating disease".
She said: "The very next morning, I was in septic shock and rushed to the ER by my mom.
"I was shivering, very breathless, could not walk and had extreme body aches.
"I was in the ICU for almost four days, where the doctors were debating debridement surgery (basically, cutting off the part of my butt that was infected)."
Fortunately the surgery wasn't required as Sam began to recover.
She said: "I was sent to the ER for three days to fully recover before they sent me home.
"After I left the hospital, I was told to rest at home for a full month. Unfortunately, the cellulitis came back a month later, and I had to go back to the ER only for a day, where they treated me with antibiotics.
"Most people were shocked that this could happen, BUT I was extremely surprised at the amount of people saying the same thing happened to them too!
"I'm happy I made the TikTok, and although it's extremely scary to have one of the most embarrassing things that has ever happened to me on the internet, it reminds people that we're all human and experience weird stuff, and it's nothing to be ashamed of."
The video has been viewed more than 8.1 million times and has now gathered more than 1.3 million likes from fellow TikTokers.
It's so important not to delay getting medical attention – like celeb Kym Marsh's dad, these sufferers missed out on life-saving treatment.
In other health news, cases of skin cancer are rising – here's a doctor's verdict on the dangers of tanning.
Plus here are some more health clues hidden in your hands.
Source: Read Full Article