Rishi Sunak hints at Winter Eat Out to Help Out to get UK ‘spending again’

The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox

Rishi Sunak hinted the Eat Out to Help Out scheme could make a comeback this winter.

As England has been locked down for a second time, a similar initiative could launch to help rebuild the hospitality industry.

This morning, the Chancellor said more measures will be introduced to try and get the country dining out again.

He told Sky News: "We'll talk about specific measures, but more broadly I think it's right when we finally exit this [lockdown] and hopefully next year with testing and vaccines, we'll be able to start to look forward to getting back to normal.

"We'll have to look forward to the economic situation then and see what the best form of our support.

"We want to get consumers spending again, get them out and about, we'll look at a range of things to see what the right interventions are at that time."

The news comes as the UK's economy grew by an impressive 15.5% after the first shut down was announced in March.

Figures from the Office of National Statistics showed a record economy bounce back through July to December.

However, the economy is still 9.7% smaller than what it was at the end of last year.

In August, the Eat Out to Help Out scheme saw Brits score 50% off meals, up to £10 off per person from Monday through Wednesday.

Back in September, a government minister told how a winter version of Eat Out to Help Out was "under review".

The Chancellor had said the scheme helped to "drive our economic recovery".

A whopping 84,700 restaurants had signed up for the scheme in August.

Mr Sunak said previously: "I want to thank everyone, from restaurant owners to waiters, chefs and diners, for embracing it and helping drive our economic recovery."

  • Coronavirus

Source: Read Full Article