Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's New Roles Are Only on a Trial Basis

It’s been an intense start to 2020 for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle. After returning to the U.K. following their six-week hiatus — the Duke and Duchess of Sussex dropped a bombshell that was heard across the globe.

Though many royal fans knew that the Sussexes had been struggling in the public eye, especially after their emotional ITV documentary, Harry and Meghan: An African Journey, we had no clue they were considering blowing up the monarchy as we know it.

On Jan 8. the Sussexes announced that they would be stepping back as senior members of the royal family, and nothing has been the same since.

View this post on Instagram

“After many months of reflection and internal discussions, we have chosen to make a transition this year in starting to carve out a progressive new role within this institution. We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the Royal Family and work to become financially independent, while continuing to fully support Her Majesty The Queen. It is with your encouragement, particularly over the last few years, that we feel prepared to make this adjustment. We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. We look forward to sharing the full details of this exciting next step in due course, as we continue to collaborate with Her Majesty The Queen, The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Cambridge and all relevant parties. Until then, please accept our deepest thanks for your continued support.” – The Duke and Duchess of Sussex For more information, please visit sussexroyal.com (link in bio) Image © PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are no longer working royals

When they initially announced their intent to step back as senior members of the royal family, the Sussexes had hoped to work on the queen’s behalf part-time. In their initial statement, they said,

We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honour our duty to The Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages. This geographic balance will enable us to raise our son with an appreciation for the royal tradition into which he was born, while also providing our family with the space to focus on the next chapter, including the launch of our new charitable entity. 

However, now that the details have been ironed out, the Sussexes will no longer be working royals at all. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are grateful to Her Majesty and the Royal Family for their ongoing support as they embark on the next chapter of their lives,” Buckingham Palace said in a statement. “As agreed in this new arrangement, they understand that they are required to step back from Royal duties, including official military appointments. They will no longer receive public funds for Royal duties.   With The Queen’s blessing, the Sussexes will continue to maintain their private patronages and associations. While they can no longer formally represent The Queen, the Sussexes have made clear that everything they do will continue to uphold the values of Her Majesty.”

View this post on Instagram

Having attended the 10th Annual One Young World opening ceremony on Tuesday, The Duchess of Sussex was joined today by The Duke of Sussex for a round table discussion on gender equity with OYW and Queen’s Commonwealth Trust young leaders. Over the last few days, these young leaders became @OneYoungWorld ambassadors with the intention to return to their communities and further existing initiatives to help change the world for the better. This year OYW partnered with the @Queens_Commonwealth_Trust, of which The Duke and Duchess are President and Vice-President respectively, to provide scholarships to young leaders driving positive social impact in the Commonwealth. This was the most exciting collaboration between two groups The Duchess is passionate about and has been working with for some time. For more information and highlights from the week and how you can support these incredible leaders and their initiatives, visit @OneYoungWorld Photo © SussexRoyal / PA

A post shared by The Duke and Duchess of Sussex (@sussexroyal) on

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are not being stripped of their titles

Moving forward the Sussexes will be known as Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex. “The Sussexes will not use their HRH titles as they are no longer working members of the Royal Family,” Buckingham Palace said.

However, many royal fans noted the tricky wording. Though the Sussexes will not use their HRH titles, they are not being stripped of them.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s new roles are on a trial basis

Since the Sussexes are embarking on a journey that the royal family has never dealt with before, everything they encounter will be a new experience. Therefore, the roles that have hammered out and approved by Queen Elizabeth II, have not been set in stone.

The progressive new roles change drastically in time. “The new changes — which will take effect in Spring 2020 will last for a year, at which point the royal family will revisit the arrangement,” a royal insider told People.

We hope these new roles will give the Sussexes the peace that they deserve.

Source: Read Full Article