Scott Tallon Walker is one of the big names in Irish architecture, a firm that has not only been around for an impressive length of time – its origins date back to 1928 when Michael Scott founded the original architectural practice with Norman D Good – but one that has consistently been associated with work of the highest quality. Over the years the firm has won many awards, including four gold medals from the RIAI and the prestigious Royal Gold Medal from the RIBA.
Early projects that helped to establish the firm’s reputation for good design were healthcare projects at Tullamore Hospital and St Ultan’s Hospital, and the Pavilion Building (1939) for the World’s Fair in New York in 1939.
Under Michael Scott, the firm produced some of the finest examples of modernist architecture in Ireland, including Geragh, the house that he designed for himself at Sandycove in 1939, which will be familiar to anyone who has ever swum at the Forty Foot, and Busaras in 1953, both of which are now protected structures, in recognition of the excellence of their design.
Ronnie Tallon and Robin Walker became partners in the practice in 1958, and it was renamed Scott Tallon Walker in 1975. The design work from this period, including the RTE Radio Building, the Bank of Ireland HQ in Baggot Street and the former PJ Carroll factory in Dundalk, embodies a distinctive modernist vision.
Although Scott Tallon Walker may be better known for its commercial work, the firm has also been involved in residential projects, one being a mews development for the BMW importer Frank Keane on Lansdowne Park in the mid-90s.
The four adjoining houses may have been built 25 years ago, but still look fresh and modern – and No 154 is a fine example of how the principles of modernist design really do stand the test of time. Clean spare lines, shadow gaps instead of skirting boards, clever storage, internal sliding doors and an absence of ornamentation never go out of fashion.
There’s a small garden to the front, with pedestrian access via a door from the street. Vehicular access is via an electric gate to a driveway that leads between the two central mews houses to the parking area at the rear, where one space is assigned to No 154; there is also permit parking on the road available to residents.
To the front of the house is the open-plan kitchen/dining room, the smart kitchen fitted with good-quality integrated appliances. To the rear is the sitting room, which has a granite fireplace and glazed doors opening out to the garden, which faces south-west and features fine granite paving and stylish planting. There’s a guest loo on this level.
The most striking feature of the house is the central spiral staircase, which leads to the upper and lower levels. Downstairs there’s a laundry room and storage, while the bedrooms are upstairs. The main bedroom is to the back and has sliding doors to a balcony. There is an en suite bathroom with bath and separate shower which is original to the house and still looks contemporary, finished in polished granite. The second bedroom is to the front and is also en suite, while the third bedroom is lit from above by a roof-light and also looks out to the front; the current owners use this as a study and sewing room.
Lansdowne Park is convenient for the city centre, shops, pubs and restaurants.
According to the Property Price Register, No 154 last changed hands in 2011 for €685,000, but back in 2005, at the height of the Celtic Tiger madness, it sold for €1.8m at auction. Stephen Day of Lisney says that he thinks the current asking price of €995,000 is a fair one, but that is open to offers.
3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
Agent: Lisney (01) 638 2700
Viewing: By appointment
Source: Read Full Article